Saturday 1 August 2015

20 Things I’ve Learnt Turning 20




Since my last post – which was back when dinosaurs were still roaming – I have turned the ripe old age of 20. Entering my third decade of life felt like a momentous milestone, and one that felt like it needed to be documented...five months after the event...

Despite my inadequacy in actually physically writing this list, it is a list that has been floating around in my head for a very long time now. Leading up to my 20th birthday at the end of February I was surprised by how much I felt like I really had reached a significant moment, the closing of one chapter and the beginning of the next.

Whilst there are things in my teenage years that I probably would go back and change – people who say they wouldn't are lying – I was truly amazed and almost comforted by the closure that I felt in knowing that I had had a fulfilled existence as a teenager in this world. And therefore the prospect of entering my 20s was not as terrifying as I had anticipated. This being said I am still coming to terms with the continuous realisation that I am an adult, with adult responsibilities and problems, and that Arthur can’t really be my favourite TV show anymore!

This is a list of things that I thought I would share about the life lessons and truth I have learnt and experienced in my 20 years so far. This is by no means extensive, nor does it mean that in turning 20 I have become some kind of life guru. Just that I feel slightly closer to becoming one ;)
So without further ado here are the 20 Things I've Learnt Turning 20:

Say yes to opportunities

Being hard working is not uncool

Take time for yourself

Enjoy being young

Increasing responsibility doesn't have to equal scary and boring

People won’t be in your life forever

Old friends are sometimes the best friends

People progress at different stages

Things don’t always work out how you plan, but usually do work out eventually

If something sucks it won’t last forever

There are people who you cannot get on with, and that’s okay

Nothing is worse than regrets

FOMO is real and deadly, and learning to overcome it is a true skill

Independence is a very attractive quality

Book smart is important but street smart gets you a long way too

You don’t have to wear makeup everyday

Pushing yourself is scary but the rewards are worth it

To love tea and tequila equally

Parents can be best friends

Being a teenager is amazing and you will only have the opportunity to be there once, so treasure it, it’s precious 



A few throwback photos from my birthday - firstly I took the bold move and had over 12 inches cut off my hair, a decision I couldn't have been happier about. Secondly my amazing birthday cake that my best friends surprised me with, which tasted as incredible as it looked 






As I said this list is just one girl's take, and I am fully aware that I have a lot more to learn. I am excited to be in this new chapter in my life, to see what the next decade has in store. It is crazy to think of the person I was ten years ago, and even more crazy to imagine what kind of person I will be in ten years time!

I look forward to documenting my life here, and I hope you are looking forward to sharing it with me. Thank you all for reading, and until next time,

B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment