Sunday 7 August 2016

Graduation - What, Like It's Hard?

After being MIA for almost a whole year I thought that my graduation marked the perfect time to kickstart the blog again. 

This last year has been the busiest and most stressful year of my life, yet has also been the most rewarding and most memorable.


As of 12th July 2016 I am an official university graduate with a Bachelors degree in History. Even typing those words it feels strange and has not completely sunk in yet. University was always the step I was working towards, and even once there it felt like this incredible whirlwind experience that would never end. But sadly like all good things they do eventually come to end. It is a fact that I have been having great difficulty accepting and moving on from as I can honestly say, as corny and cliche as it may be, that these last three years at uni have been the three best years of my life!

Graduation felt like the perfect ending to an amazing experience, and to any students who are graduating this summer my one piece of advice would be to take a moment in the day to take a step back and take it all in. The whole day of mine I was so overwhelmed my the immensity of officially ending this chapter that I let myself be overcome by stress. When I was sitting in the ceremony listening to my vice chancellor speak about Churchill's tips for success with a montage video of photos of university life playing in the background, it all felt so surreal but wonderful. 

Waiting for my name to be called felt like waiting to jump out of a plane - as ridiculous and dramatic as that sounds! Walking across that stage, however, felt so exhilarating and when I finally sat back down I had a sudden sensation of being unbelievably proud and happy of all that I have achieved over the last three years. Watching all my fellow historians and friends similarly walk across the stage I just was overcome with happiness and pride for everything that we have accomplished individually and together. 


Throwing my hat into the air surrounded by some of my favourite people was truly one of those moments in life that I will remember for the rest of my life!



This post was a way for me to unload all the thoughts and feelings I have about my graduation and being a graduate, but also to share my photos from the day.

I really hope to become a regular uploaded - which I know I have claimed in the past! This time, however, I truly do aim to stick to it!

I also hope that all of my fellow Legally Blonde enthusiasts will hopefully have appreciated the reference to Elle Woods wise words!


Another of Elle's insights that I always aspire to hold on to and practise is that 'you must always have faith in yourself.' In a time in my life of so much uncertainty it is very easy to feel lost, however, what I am slowly learning to appreciate and accept is that things often find a way of working themselves out. Most importantly is to take comfort in the fact that at 21 years old it is not expected or necessary to have life figured out. There are always those lucky few who have their lives perfectly in tact, but the majority of us are still finding our feet, and that certainly makes me feel a whole lot better! 

Enough of these heavy thoughts, next time I promise something lighter, containing less inner ramblings about the meaning of life!

B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment